2011 Australian Census Release 3

A long time since I’ve blogged over here!

Just a quick post to let people know I’ve made a torrent for the third release of the Australian census 2011. I’m seeding it for anyone that wants a copy. It’s a 4.6GB download, the contents are unchanged from the original ABS DVDs, except that they have been recompressed with XZ rather than Zip (~ 50% smaller than the original zip files.)

Grab the torrent file, and you’re off.

This blog is hosted with wordpress.com and they won’t let me create an inline magnet link (software as a service, grr!); but you can get a magnet link via this shortened URL:

… or paste this into your bittorrent client:

Share and enjoy :-)

The source of this data is the Australian Bureau of Statistics. The data is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia licence. Once you’ve downloaded the file, there is more information on licensing and attribution in the “About DataPacks” folder.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to 2011 Australian Census Release 3

1. Daniel says:

Thanks for this. You would think that the ABS would provide the torrent. “Admin” costs could have been saved on the BS javascript link obfuscation.

2. scott says:

Thank you for taking the time to do this.

3. Pingback: Open data on the West Island | Stats Chat

4. James says:

You sir, are a god amongst men.

5. Eric says:

You’re linked on Slashdot, so see how much traffic you get!

I actually think the DataPacks are way more convenient than what was available for the 06 census. I set up automated downloads of thousands of files. This time it’s few enough that it can be done by hand.

6. God says:

They would rather have you fork over 250 dollars for a DVD collection of the data than make it easily publicly available.

7. Steven says:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:EE2DEAA27287952089AE257EC8B009E382598239&dn=2011%20Datapacks%20BCP_IP_TSP_PEP_ECP_WPP_Release%203.tar.xz&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80%2fannounce

8. Thanks everyone glad you are finding it useful :-)

9. Joe Blo says:

Done! Sill be seeding soon

10. Seeding as we speak. Hey ABS, maybe you could learn to use technology such as BitTorrent, it might prove useful in the future.

11. Dude, well done. And I totally agree, why couldn’t they have just thrown a torrent up

12. Data Love says:

http://lpa.webcontent.s3.amazonaws.com/data/_ACT.xlsx demonstrates some interesting use of ABS data and APH data mixed together. Data for the other states are easy enough

13. Dolores says:

Has anyone actually suggested to the ABS that they might be able to reach a wider audience by uploading a torrent? I’m willing to bet my lunch money that:
    1) No, most of you will just have complained about it on blogs like these.
    2) Uploading of a torrent has simply never occurred to the ABS rather than being consciously chosen against to recoup $250.
    3) Access to torrent sites will be blocked by their departmental firewall/proxy server.

I’m as frustrated as the rest of you about some of the way the ABS do things, but enough with the conspiracy theories already. At least they’re one of the few government departments who have actually gone leaps and bounds in the past five years in widening access to data for a greater good and common purpose. Not to mention the fact they *legitimately* seek and act upon feedback when it’s brought to their attention.

Suck it up, princesses.

• I tweeted at them several times with no reply.

Please don’t use language such as “suck it up…” on this blog.

• Chris says:

@Dolores If you’re as frustrated as the rest of us, have _you_ made the suggestion to ABS? Or are you another one to “just have complained on blogs like these,” huh?

• Dolores says:

Haha, that’s a good and well deserved question. Anything that’s frustrated me, yes, I’ve raised. But access to the data is not something that’s actually bothered me this time, since I receive the discs in the mail for my $250. To be honest, I’ve been quite surprised at how efficient that process has been and the improvement from the 2006 census has been significant, when there were frequent delays and recalls.

That said, the torrent suggestion is a good one and I’d be surprised if it weren’t included for 2016…..if it’s raised with the ABS.

It’s the comments like $250 being a money-maker or a deliberate form of obtuseness that make me laugh. For me, their biggest problem is still navigation to content and UI.

14. Michael P says:

Thanks for this Grahame, just grabbed the data. I’m on a business NBN connection (100 Mb) with unmetered uploads so I’ll seed this for a while.

15. Matthew says:

Thank you for your time and effort, and good on you for trying to contact the ABS. Hopefully this gives them the spark to start doing it themselves!

16. sirlolington says:

Thanks mate!
    Much appreciated, will be downloading it this evening! Time to stats it up

17. Vic says:

I assume you use the tools on http://tukaani.org/xz/ to decompress. Can anyone please confirm for us Windows (or Mac I assume people)?

TIA

18. freman says:

Just to screw with them I wrote a bookmarklet to put every URL in the page at the bottom of the page to make it easy for grabbers – tempted to make a perl script capable of downloading too ;)

Works by using their own code and tweaking it slightly.

Instructions: visit the page, then pop this in your address bar

javascript:(function($){eval(‘window.linkZip = function’ + window.getZip.toString().substr(15, 552) + ‘$(“body”).append(“Download ” + fileName + ““);}’);$(‘td span’).find(‘.S,.L,.Q’).each(function(){window.linkZip(constructFilenameForZip($(this)))})})(jQuery)

19. Tom Anderson says:

How do your torrents compare with the DVD DataPacks?

Can I get a DVD DataPack with just one DataPack on it – and pay less?
    No. However, DataPacks can be downloaded from our website for free. DataPacks for download become available about three weeks after the DVDs become available.

How much does a DataPack cost to download?
    DataPack downloads are free